Thursday, July 19, 2012

Fear and Accepting Failure

Fear is a strange thing.  It can keep us from doing what we enjoy. 

Eight months ago I had an idea for a men's necklace.  The inspiration struck, I excitedly drew it in my sketchbook, and there it stayed.  Every time I flipped through the pages and saw the drawing, I loved it.  But I was afraid to do anything more than look at it.  I had the materials on hand.  I also had the tools.  My fear of failure was holding me back.  I was afraid that my abilities were not good enough to produce the desired results.  So I did not even try.

"The greatest mistake a man can make is to be afraid of making one."
 - Elbert Hubbard, Writer, Publisher, Artist, Philosopher

I came to a realization a few weeks ago that if I made a mistake on this necklace, I could just start over.  And I could make it better the next time.  

Why did it take so long for this consciousness to sink in? Perhaps because of my strong desire to succeed.  I am creating something personal, something by hand.  My work is an extension of me and I want the best possible results.

"Creativity is so delicate a flower that praise tends to make it bloom while discouragement often nips it at the bud.  Creativity is not something we can turn on and off like a faucet.  It is an experience and expression in our lives that must be nurtured.  This nurturing process means that creativity is at once a skill, an art, and a life-style." 
- Alex Osborn, Creativity Theorist

To succeed as an artist, I must be willing to accept failure.  It is a normal part of the process.  

To successfully create I will:
  • Be comfortable making mistakes.
  • Learn from these mistakes.
  • Ask myself how I can improve next time.
  • See how far I can take ideas; push the boundaries.
  • Never stop learning.
  • Always have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment